Monday, February 20, 2006

Ang Lee

I think Ang Lee is my hero. Certainly not a very obvious or ostentatious choice. He is not flashy - he has a wife and 2 sons and lives his dream. I was reading an article about him in SCMP - certainly he has the buzz to win an Oscar. I think the part that resonates the most with me was that he broke away to study film in the US at Illinois, much to the chagrin of his prominent Taiwanese father. I ache for that, I suppose - the ability to knowingly disappoint my parents to assume who I am. He has 7 years on me yet. He also mentions how the Asian culture is where you are judged for being good to your elders and being a good student. There are no other dimensions. That is so true. I always felt bad for my counterparts who may not have done as well at school - probably hell to pay at home or even worse - sheer apathy. It was always so quantifiable - the feeling of worth via grades. I recall a point in life where I thought that was it - I had lived because I did well academically. I am constantly amazed at schools of Western thought - how children are little people with minds and imaginations and able to contribute meaningful conversation at a dinner table. The last idea is so counter-Confucian.

No comments: