Friday, August 07, 2009

The surrogate kid

Being a dog owner is a lot like being a mother, so I hear anyway. We have had our dog for over 5 months now, and in the rare moments that I am feeling self-reflective, I realize that I am as neurotic as my own parents. Bucky is cute in this eternal-puppy sort of way (it also helps that he is 'short' for a lab and even our friend's one year old towers over him). But when he is presented with food, he pulls forward his ears and exercises his Darwinism with his 'food face.' Combined with a slight cock of the head, he is seriously the cutest dog EVAH. I noticed the other day (likely in the middle of a rare chicken meal at home) that when Bucky's food face is on that he has a furrowed forehead. A couple of "V" wrinkles above his eyebrows. Without thinking, I told him to stop or his forehead would be frozen that way. Seriously, who does that? This along with the fact that I will take Bucky to the vet for any minor reason leads me to believe I am a neurotic hypochondriac mother in the making. One with some self-awareness at least.

No comments: